18 Jul Embedded Software Engineer
Website IKOMED Technologies Inc.
About us and what we do
IKOMED Technologies Inc. is a young and energetic medical device company, based in Vancouver BC. We are engaged in the research and development of several ground-breaking medical device technologies.
Our Aegis smart shutter system, which has been cleared as part of a commercial X-ray system by the FDA, incorporates machine vision, artificial intelligence, and a high-speed electro-mechanical system to reduce X-ray radiation in fluoroscopy. Fluoroscopy is a medical imaging technology that is widely used to create real-time videos of internal organs, through X-ray radiation, to guide minimally invasive procedures where catheters or other devices are inserted into the body to diagnose and treat patients. While fluoroscopy-guided procedures reduce the need for surgery and help save lives, they expose medical staff to large amounts of X-ray radiation resulting in risks such as cataracts, cancer, etc.
We are also developing a device for non-invasive treatment of emphysema, a type of COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease), using RF radiation. Emphysema is a debilitating and progressive disease which is caused by smoking, environmental factors, or genetic factors. It is one of the leading causes of death worldwide. Today, treatment is focussed on alleviating symptoms with no cure available. Our goal is to develop and bring to the market a non-invasive treatment method which will improve the lives of millions of patients around the world, increase their productivity, and reduce long-term healthcare costs.
We offer a flexible work environment, a comprehensive salary and benefits program, and the ability to participate in the success of the company through equity.
Our small but growing team combines expertise in science, engineering, medical device development, business, and manufacturing. We believe in hiring talented motivated and self-driven people who are strong team players, giving them the direction and resources they need to succeed, and letting them make the right decisions for IKOMED. We also believe in having fun while working hard.
Would you like to join us?
In your cover letter, please indicate what piqued your interest in IKOMED and the role.
About the work – your responsibilities
IKOMED is looking for a talented and self-driven Embedded Software Engineer to join our multi-disciplinary project team as a full-time employee in the development of our ATMOS device for the treatment of emphysema. In this role, you will work closely with a multi-disciplinary project team.
Your responsibilities will include, but not be limited to, the following:
- Participate in full software development life cycle for a complex medical device
- Gather and document requirements
- Develop and integrate user-facing device software as well as firmware for custom hardware
- Implement unit testing and develop higher-level test plans and test cases
- Participate in planning and execution of software releases
- Provide software support for R&D infrastructure
- Develop software used in jigs and fixtures
- Maintain and upgrade existing software
- Data management and analysis:
- Support the development and standardization of data visualization methods
- Create computational infrastructure for collecting, organizing, analyzing, and cross-referencing prototype test data to discover and explore trends and correlations
- Participate in the development of metrics for device performance and algorithms for device control
- Participate in the research and development of medical image processing algorithms for thermal measurements
- Design and conduct bench testing experiments for algorithm validation and optimization
- Support integration of the algorithms and thermal imaging hardware with the system
About you – your experience and qualifications
To thrive in this role at IKOMED, you have to have…
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or another relevant engineering discipline
with at least 5 years of industry experience
- Strong embedded programming skills in C, C++, Python
- Experience working with Linux and Raspberry Pi, Arduino
- Experience with microcontroller/microprocessor programming
- Experience with multi-threaded programming and real-time operating systems
- Working experience of hardware buses and protocols (ethernet, USB, RS232, SPI, I2C or UART)
- Solid working knowledge of control theory
- A strong foundation in the STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) disciplines
- Excellent problem-solving abilities and attention to detail
- Enthusiasm for tackling hard problems and a strong drive to get things done
- Excellent written and verbal communication and technical documentation skills
- Great interpersonal skills, including maturity, teamwork, respect, courtesy, tact, and discretion
Ideally, you will also have…
- A strong background in statistics and data science
- Previous exposure to medical device development
We thank all applicants for their interest in IKOMED and the posted role. Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Please check back with us regularly for future opportunities.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org