03 Apr Global Talent Stream – your input is needed
As we published in our March 19 federal budget update, the Canadian government has made its Global Talent Stream pilot permanent—as BC Tech, industry innovators, and policy experts had recommended.
This big step will help alleviate BC’s tech talent gap—one of the BC ecosystem’s two key limiting factors—and help empower tech companies and the ecosystem to grow and scale to our full potential.
Employment and Social Development Canada’s (ESDC) is now reviewing its Global Talent Occupations List (GTOL) and has invited stakeholders to provide input by April 12th.
As a quick reminder, occupations on this list are eligible for Labour Market Impact Assessments (LMIAs) without proof of Canadian recruitment and are also eligible for two week processing. ESDC is seeking insight and labour market information from employers concerning the following:
- removing NOC 0211 Engineering managers and NOC 0212 Architecture and science managers from the GTOL.
- adding NOC 2146 Aerospace engineers and NOC 2281 Computer network technicians; and
- adding other ICT or STEM occupations where the domestic labour supply is insufficient. They are requesting job titles, job requirements, job duties and labour market information.
This consultation a chance for BC tech businesses to provide input on what roles are challenging on recruitment and where talent gaps can be filled. BC Tech encourages you to contribute, especially if
- your business is having difficulty filling other ICT or STEM occupations.
- your business is anticipating hiring Engineering managers or Architecture and science managers during the next 12 months or currently employs foreign workers under such occupations who will need to apply for a new LMIA and corresponding work permit in the future.
BC Tech is coordinating member feedback and will submit it on your behalf with our partners at EY Canada. To provide your feedback, please complete the ESDC survey by end of day April 11th, and send your input to Chris Malmo-Laycock, Senior Policy Manger at cmalmo[at]wearebctech.com. If filling out federal forms isn’t your thing, please get in touch to set up an alternate arrangement!