06 Oct Spotlight on Fortinet
This week’s Spotlight on Tech features Fortinet, a company that delivers innovative, high performing network security fabric to secure and simplify your IT infrastructure. Learn more about Fortinet in this week’s feature below.
1. Describe your company and your primary product(s) and/or service(s). Fortinet (NASDAQ: FTNT) secures the largest enterprise, service provider, and government organizations around the world. Fortinet empowers its customers with intelligent, seamless protection across the expanding attack surface and the power to take on ever-increasing performance requirements of the borderless network – today and into the future. Only the Fortinet Security Fabric architecture can deliver security without compromise to address the most critical security challenges, whether in networked, application, cloud, or mobile environments. Fortinet ranks #1 in the most security appliances shipped worldwide and more than 320,000 customers trust Fortinet to protect their businesses.
2. How many employees currently work at your company? 5000+ worldwide 1000+ in Canada 700+ in Burnaby
3. Where are you located? Fortinet was founded in Burnaby, BC and it remains our largest office with our Fortiguard Labs Global Research Centre based here. We are a 5 minute walk from Gilmore station. Our headquarters is in Sunnyvale, California, and our other Canadian office is in Ottawa.
4. Describe the culture at your company. Fast-paced & Innovative. You will never be bored. We are a high performing, driven, and results oriented culture. The type of environment where you can get things done, explore your own innovation, creativity and feel proud about the difference you are making in this complex digital world we live in. Coming from around the globe, with a broad range of professional and educational experiences, we come together – pulling from our histories, local insights and imaginations to innovate in this rapidly changing world of Network Security. It is this shared passion for creating cutting edge technology and protecting those who rely on it that drives and motivates us…while sharing a laugh.
5. What does your leadership team (and company as a whole) do to support/grow that culture? We are the third largest Network Security vendor worldwide and with growth, comes opportunity and we promote from within! We also instill our culture early on through our FortiAcademy which provides industry-recognized training and certification to students around the world.
6. When your employees talk about your company, what do they brag about? We pride ourselves in working with the latest cutting edge technologies. As an engineer at Fortinet you are encouraged to be innovative and have hands on experience from day one. You will have access to quality technical mentorship. We also have over 25 employee-run interest clubs at our Burnaby office, including, Anime, Boardgame, Soccer, Rock Climbing, and FortiMasters – The Fortinet Toastmasters Club. We also pride ourselves in the fact that all employees are shareholders in this fast growing successful public company!
7. Describe your most recent achievement/ milestone as a company. How did you team celebrate it?
- BC’s Top Employers
- Fortinet’s R&D expansion
- We will be hosting a celebration on Nov 9th for our Canadian expansion
8. Are you hiring? Why should a candidate apply to your company? What are the benefits of working for you? Yes we are always hiring! Fortinet is projected to hire 1000 people as we expand our R&D department here in Burnaby. We hire for all levels of educations including diplomas, bachelors, masters, and PhD’s. Candidates should apply to Fortinet for numerous reasons. First, we respect work-life balance, we don’t expect our employees to work crazy hours. Second, our benefit package is competitive, we offer RRSP matching and equity for new hires. Lastly, we support our employee’s initiatives. For example, if an employee would like to support a certain charity, Fortinet would match donations to that charity.
9. Who is the ideal employee for your company? We look for people who want to make the world a safer place and fight cybercrime! Finding new and upcoming talent is a critical part of our success story at Fortinet. If you are motivated, smart and talented, a lack of work experience is not a problem. The best part of starting your career at Fortinet is we will train you! At Fortinet, you will have access to the best and brightest of technical mentors. We have specialized, internally driven new grad training programs and most importantly, a variety of interesting assignments to learn from. We hire Diploma of Technology and Bachelor, Masters, and PhD graduates.
10. What is your company goal for the coming year? Fortinet’s mission is to deliver the most innovative, highest performing network security platform to secure and simplify your IT infrastructure. We are well positioned to maintain momentum and grow market share globally given our best-in-class integrated end-to-end network security platform, which provides superior protection against advanced cyber threats!
11. Tell us an interesting fact/memorable moment/ funny story about your company. A common problem for hyper growth companies is running out of space. Over the years, we have definitely had a few close calls. But with a stroke of luck on our side, somehow office space would miraculously become available right at the eleventh hour. Fortunately, we are now set for the next 10 years with the announcement of our Canadian expansion and the purchase of two new facilities.