Technology in British Columbia
Long considered a dream destination for outdoor enthusiasts and tech professionals alike, BC offers some of the most dynamic live, work, and play environments in the world. With over 9500 tech companies, BC is Canada’s #1 startup ecosystem and #15 globally. As the fastest growing sector in BC, there is no lack of opportunities in technology. We need top-quality talent to continue driving our tech ecosystem forward, and we want you to be part of this success story with us!
- British Columbia is the #1 startup ecosystem in Canada and top 15 globally. With over 9500 tech companies, and paying 75% higher than BC average, technology is the fastest growing sector in BC – and will continue booming in the years to come.
- BC is well represented in all 5 key tech sectors: ICT, CleanTech, IT & Engineering Services, LifeSciences, and Interactive & Digital Media. From innovative startups just getting off the ground, to well-established global Fortune 500 companies, BC has a little bit of everything when it comes to technology.
- Tech professionals are highly in demand. Tech jobs are forecasted to grow from 149,000 in 2015 to 196,000 in 2021, creating an opportunity for 47,000 new jobs. Up to 30,500 of these could go unfilled if we do not tap into new, key sources of talent. From developers and programmers to systems engineers, senior executives, and sales & marketing, we absolutely need qualified talent in BC.
- Vancouver is one of the most beautiful cities in the world, with a stunning setting between the North Shore Mountains and the beautiful Pacific Ocean, and the mildest climate in Canada.
- Vancouver is one of the best cities to live in the world, and is ranked one of the most liveable, most walkable, and most diverse cities in the world. You can ski, golf, bike, sail and kayak in Vancouver – all on the same day.
- Vancouver is the epicentre of BC’s tech industry boom, representing Canada’s fastest growing and fastest job-creating economy. It’s home to 3 of 5 Canadian unicorns.
- Vancouver is multicultural, diverse, and green. 40% of Vancouver’s total population is made up of immigrants. Vancouver has the largest LGBTQ+ community in Western Canada, and is on track to become the greenest city in the world by 2020.
Find Tech Jobs
Did You Know?
- Over the past decade, the technology sector has been the fastest growing sector in BC, doubling in size to become the third-largest economic contributor to provincial GDP, and generating more than $26 billion in revenue annually.
- The technology sector employs over 90,000 people across 9,700 tech companies. Growth in technology jobs continues to outpace other sectors, including mining, oil and gas combined; growing at three times the rate over the past year.
- BC’s tech sector is growing fast and there aren’t enough qualified people to fill all the open roles. This increase in demand for talent has caused the wages to increase; currently, the wages for tech workers in BC exceed the provincial average by 75%.